Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Happy Birthday to Me


I celebrated one of my most unique birthdays today. I knew it was approaching, but with all the activity surrounding the start of college, it still kind of sneaked up on me. It's hard to believe that I'm 19 years old now and that I've only one more year of being a teenager. This was the first time I was away from home and people I know on my birthday, but it still ended up being a pretty good day.

Since it's a Saturday, the campus, which is normally a swarming hive of activity during the week, was empty and silent today. So, I spent most of the morning in my room finishing reading the first act of Henry IV for my literature class and watching the last available episode of my new favorite TV show Castle on Hulu. I don't usually watch TV, especially ABC, but I really like this series because of the fascinating characterization and entertaining plot twists (and it hasn't been too dirty so far).

I somewhat wish I had planned my day earlier instead of trying to find something to do at the last minute, but going to lunch with my high school friends Meghan and Sam where one of my Fish Camp friends works was nice.

When we got back to campus, I spent about an hour in my room until my friend Evan told me that his family was tailgating before the football game tonight, and I was welcome to join them. Not having other plans and hoping not to be too lonely on my birthday, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to go out and spend the rest of the afternoon. There ended up being about 30-40 people under a combined six tents with food and games, most everyone Evan's neighbors and/or family friends from home.

And now, I have a confession to make: Tonight was my first tailgate party and football game in my life. I feel like a bad native Texan, but not having a football team in high school and belonging to a family that is not much interested in sports, I never had any reason to go to one. But there's a first time for everything, and it was probably good to experience the real deal in grand style for my first time. In Texas, football is akin to the state religion, and walking into Kyle Field really did feel like stepping into a temple dedicated to the pantheon of football players. The football game against New Mexico was exciting, but really more because of the Spirit of Aggieland. I honestly don't know what is so entertaining about four hours of watching heavy guys knock each other down and reset their positions every twenty to thirty seconds, but it is fun when one of them gets a break for it. Being a people person, I was more distracted by all the action going on around me and on the edges of the field, and I was fortunate to run into some friends up in our freshman, nosebleed section even though I couldn't meet up with my discussion group from Fish Camp. Fortunately, too, Texas A&M won 41-6, or, as we like to say here: Beat the Hell Outta UNM.

On top of this good news, I received so many kind birthday wishes from people today, and I'm thankful for so many friends who care enough to leave me a note. I especially appreciated the video from my good friend Ben.

All in all a pretty good day, except for one minor detail: When I returned to my dorm, I found my roommate hosting two friends, and as I have been writing this, they have been watching a Saw movie. I'll try not to mount the soapbox for too long, but let me just say: I despise horror movies.

I find nothing whatsoever edifying in them, and it is appalling what evils the human imagination can conceive. As a creative, artistic person, I can't support censorship, but I do very much believe in temperance and self-control. Also as an artist, I consider it my duty and my joy to use my creative talents to imitate and glorify the goodness of our own Creator, who only made what was good. This Saw movie poses under the title of "psychological thriller," but there is no point in revelling in the nightmares of the mind, especially when the protagonist provides little to no redeeming, light-bearing qualities as a foil. It seems to me barbaric to indulge in sadistic imagery simply for the shock value or for "entertainment's" sake; the Romans did the same thing 2,000 years ago when they filled the Colosseum to witness its bloody spectacles. Shouldn't we have moved on by now?

Anyway... I'm glad to have discovered a bit more of myself in this new year of my life, and I pray that the Holy Spirit will continue to guide me all the rest of the days of my life. I'm thankful for the life I have been given, and the lives He has brought into my own, and I want to take this new beginning as an opportunity to rededicate myself to His purpose.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment