Sunday, September 6, 2009

Babette's Feast

Movie Poster by Rolf Konow of Babette's Feast

Tonight, I had some free time, so I stopped by the library and checked out the film Babette's Feast. Before I left Austin, I was attending a bi-monthly "movie and a meal" at the home of my youth group leader with my friends from church. Unfortunately, I had to miss the last one because I was gone to Fish Camp, and I had been looking forward most of all to watching this film because it is foreign and I had heard great things about it.

After the unfortunate incident of the horror film last night (you can read my thoughts on that in the previous post), this was truly a delight to behold. Not only is the film about a literal feast, but it is a feast in itself, visually, artistically, and intellectually.

Babette's Feast is the story of how a French exile-turned-housekeeper teaches her two Puritanical, Danish hostesses and their community la joie de vivre and the true spirit of sacrificial love. After staying fourteen years with the two sisters who have provided her shelter from the civil war in France, Babette wins the lottery in Paris. But instead of returning to her home, where no one living awaits her, Babette unexpectedly- and secretly- uses her newfound wealth to prepare un vrai diner français in honor of the 100th birthday of the sisters' father, the priest and head of the village. Unbeknownst to her, the villagers are horrified at the thought of partaking in so sumptuous a meal; after all, it goes contrary to everything about their ascetic lifestyle the minister taught them. But despite their initial agreement not to take the slightest pleasure whatsoever in the meal, the townspeople cannot help but to be moved by the beauty and love that infuses the feast and end up putting aside their past quarrels in a spirit of true communion. When the sisters later discover that Babette was the chef of the fabled Café Anglais in Paris and that she spent her entire 10,000 francs on the dinner, they finally learn what it means to truly offer one's life to the service and love of God.

Two quotes from the film imprinted themselves in my heart, the first being: "An artist is never poor." Babette says this to the sisters just after she reveals that she spent her entire fortune in preparing the feast. I like it because of the irony it carries, but with that irony, such truth as well. This simple statement sums up the wealth in being a creator- it is not so much the end result, but the pursuit that brings the deepest joy; it's not in realizing the destination, but in savoring the journey there. Therein lies the true value of the creative act, and especially in this story, Babette is no "starving artist," but one who overflows with passion that fills not only her life, but spills into others'.

The second quote: "Throughout the world sounds one long cry from the heart of the artist: Give me the chance to do my very best." I love the thought of living life passionately, always striving to do my very best in all that I do. It is true that it is the road less travelled, and it takes an extraordinary amount of strength to achieve such a goal, but I believe, ultimately, it is the life most fulfilling.

I enjoyed this film for many reasons: I like being able to watch foreign films in their original languages to get the true sense of the setting and to better feel the emotions being portrayed, I liked that it was set in Denmark so that I was able to learn a bit more about a place I know little about, I thought it was very interesting from an anthropological standpoint to see how the Northern Europeans- traditionally austere Protestants- got along with a the Latin, Southern European Papists and how their lifestyles and philosophies differed, but most of all I enjoyed this film for the thought it provoked, the beauty with which it was made, and the inspiration for a life better lived that it sparked within me.

After the movie ended, I could only sit in thoughtful silence as the credits rolled, deeply moved by the story I'd just witnessed. My initial impulse was to react, but after beholding such a masterpiece, it is necessary to digest a little before responding. Writing out my thoughts here has helped me do just that, and I hope that it has whetted your appetite as well.

If you ever have the opportunity to partake of this cinematographic feast, I sincerely recommend that you to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment